The Pre-processing and Processing stages of Electronic Discovery (eDiscovery) are when the data is being prepared for review, and can include different procedures to make the review easier.
The techniques to reduce the amount of documents for review may include:
- Deduplication - removing copies of files to avoid review the same file multiple times
- Removing systems, log or empty files
- Removing documents outside of the timeframe in scope
- Running keyword searches to bring relevant documents to the forefront
- Grouping documents for review by a common keyword or date range